Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Trimming Day

My horses had their time with the farrier yesterday afternoon. I'd already had to reschedule once due to rain. Even though it was snowing in the morning when I fed, it stopped soon after, quickly melted, the sun came out, the wind picked up, and the ground was dry- including my ponies and their hooves!

Luna actually wasn't that bad for the farrier, considering I've done hardly any work with leg and hoof handling this winter (excuse: snow-ice-pregnancy.) Ranch Boy helped hold her since I didn't want to fuss with her when she hops around on 3 legs or tries pulling her leg from the farrier (both of which she did her fair share of.) She wasn't any worse that she's been for any other appointment. She'll get better- she's only just 3 and started out wild!

{Luna is losing a ton of hair and starting to turn into a "roany pony" again!}


However, the farrier said she was actually better than a 2 year old off the feedlot that he did last week. That one bit him, kicked him twice, and actually just threw herself on the ground. He only got her fronts done. Luna doesn't do anything intentionally mean, she just gets anxious and tired of standing on 3 legs and sees what she can get away with. My farrier is very patient with her and really tries to give her her leg for rests when she is being good, and hangs on for dear life when she pulls so that she doesn't learn she can get away with it!

She has great hooves, however. She was overdue for a trim but her hooves had held their shape. The farrier said she has a nice thick hoof wall. While My Boy hadn't quite shed his frog and had a slight case of the beginnings of mild thrush, Luna's hooves looked great all around.

{My Boy thinks farrier visits are exhausting! He was a perfect boy, as always!}

It feels nice to have this done! Now I don't have to worry about it until after Jr. Ranch Boy is born and I'm recovered from that. Next time I'll have shoes put on My Boy so we can get ready for spring riding. I'm going to try to keep Luna barefoot.

Until next time......


Ranch Girl

3 comments:

Reddunappy said...

In those pictures of her she almost looks Appaloosa! LOL

All the Cherry trees here in town are blooming! Spring is here! Woo hoo!!!

Paint Girl said...

You should be able to keep Luna barefoot. I know both of my stangs won't ever need shoes, which is great. Luna will get better with time. Plus when you are able to work with her more will help. She looks so different when she sheds out!

Sherry Sikstrom said...

She is young and learning, next time will be better, she sure is a cutie, but my fav pics are of that handsome spotty