Thursday, January 23, 2014

The Bug

Everyone at our house, except for me by some miracle, got the icky cold virus going around. Ranch Boy got it first then Jr got it. It was the first time in his life he has been sick and had a high fever. It was a rough few days, but he's recouping nicely now!















{Sick day! }

I had my first lesson and now I have a week off because my friend who loans me the horse is on vacation. I've been playing with trial saddles and got My Boy out for a test ride in the one I'm taking lessons in.  The ground is frozen like cement so I just trotted him in circles on the line in gravel driveway with the saddle on to make sure he wasn't feeling bucky, then I climbed on. I rode down the road to our neighbor's to have him look at the saddle tear, as he does saddle work. He didn't have the experience to take apart an English saddle. You can see the year in the seat in the photo below.



















A little more research into saddle repair pretty much discouraged me from considering this comfy saddle because it basically needs a whole new leather seat- which will be quite pricey. So back to the drawing board- I have a few more to try. I'll find one.

We have family visiting this weekend, but the cousins might want to ride so if the weather holds, hopefully we will. I will try out the other saddle on My Boy regardless. I had fun riding him the other day, he's such a good old horse. Wishing you all a great weekend!

Ranch Girl

3 comments:

50+ Horses said...

That saddle does look comfy!

April said...

Aww, poor little guy! My baby girl got sick for the first time on Thanksgiving, it makes you feel so hopeless. She almost made it a whole year without getting a flu bug, though! Hope everyone feels better and you continue to avoid it!

juliette said...

Oh your little one is so adorable!!!! What a worry - so glad he is feeling better now!